The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz is the first Sherlock Holmes Novel to be authorised by the Conan Doyle Estate, and honestly I can see why, it is brilliant.

I started at a very good advantage in the sense that I have never really read any of the Sherlock Holmes novels before reading this so I wasn't constantly comparing this one to the classics.


Anthony Horowitz has quite cleverly kept Sherlock in London for this novel, something I think anyone taking on this task should have done.
The plot is decidedly complex and from the start it is an absolute page turner. Unfortunately I predicted the “whodunit” part early on which did take a little of the shine off the surprise of the reveal (in fairness though isn’t that the joy of the Sherlock Novels? I blame too much CSI) but the journey to get to that point was just as exciting and the plot twisted sufficiently to keep me second guessing.

I have now invested in and read a few of the original Sherlock Novels to educate myself more…..if The Conan Doyle Estate approves of this it has to be true to its original form, right?
If you are avoiding ready this because you think it will be a let-down I promise you it won’t be, it is every bit as good as the originals.
It’s an easy page turning read and you will be glad you gave it a go!
It really is elementary!

Comments

Popular Reading